Fascinating Diamonds 2: Science and Gemology
Find out what makes diamonds unique
The only gem to be made up of a single chemical element, the diamond harbors numerous mysteries: the miracle of its creation, its unlikely encounter with humankind, and the five conditions that determine its supreme hardness.
At L'ÉCOLE, School of Jewelry Arts, two classes are devoted to diamonds and provide an overview of the vast knowledge surrounding this "Stone of Stones".
During this course
First, the teachers will relate the diamond's history, from when it was first polished in the 4th century BCE to the invention of the modern brilliant cut in 1919, which enabled it to express its full brilliance.
Then, discover the secrets of this gemstone: its chemical composition, totally improbable birth, unequaled hardness, the mystery of its brilliance and its fire.
Lastly, handle stones, classify them by colors and assess their clarity, use gemologist's tools and look at exclusive documents.
This class is conducted by two gemologists.
Good to know
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences
- Coffee, tea, and pastries are offered upon your arrival
- You don’t need to bring any specific material
- A certificate is given at the end of the class
What makes L'ÉCOLE experience so special
- High-quality education: L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council
- A very unique faculty: all the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge
- Generosity: skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites
- Exclusive interaction: courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts
- Initiation courses: on an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs
To go further
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended
- Deepen your understanding of gemology and identify precious stones with the course "Recognize the Gemstones".