Fascinating Diamonds 1: History and Legends
Discover the myths and legends of diamonds
Over the centuries, many cultures have contributed to the legends and traditions surrounding precious stones. These rare products of nature have inspired philosophers and mystics who have attributed supernatural powers to these special minerals.
At L'ÉCOLE, School of Jewelry Arts, two classes are devoted to diamonds and provide an overview of the vast knowledge surrounding this "Stone of Stones".
During this course
Learn about the legends and beliefs associated with this "Stone of Stones". Travel from India to Brazil via South Africa, to discover the diamonds of the world and understand where and how people found and revealed these extraordinary gemstones.
Hear the stories of the most famous diamonds which made their mark on history, contemplate their replicas, discover historical books from L'ÉCOLE's collection and stunning pictures of legendary gemstones.
This class is conducted by a gemologist and an art historian.
Good to know
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences
- Coffee, tea, and pastries are offered upon your arrival
- You don’t need to bring any specific material
- A certificate is given at the end of the class
What makes L'ÉCOLE experience so special
- High-quality education: L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council
- A very unique faculty: all the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge
- Generosity: skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites
- Exclusive interaction: courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts
- Initiation courses: on an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs
To go further
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended
- Find out what makes diamonds unique with the course "Fascinating Diamonds 2: Science and Gemology".