Discover the Gemstones
LanguageENGLISH (CANTONESE*)orENGLISH (MANDARIN*)
A first introduction to gemstones: where and how do crystals form? How do faceted gemstones appear from the rough? What are the different variety of gems?
During this course
Discover how gems come into being, along with their great variety and the different techniques used to extract and collect them. Learn about the development and aims of cutting, as well as the various stages and techniques for evaluating gemstones.
Finally, to illustrate the subject matter, teachers will guide you through three experiments, in which you will manipulate and observe stones using gemologists' tools.
This class is conducted by two gemologists.
Good to know
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences
- Coffee, tea, and pastries are offered upon your arrival
- You don’t need to bring any specific material
- A certificate is given at the end of the class
What makes L'ÉCOLE experience so special
- High-quality education: L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council
- A very unique faculty: all the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge
- Generosity: skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites
- Exclusive interaction: courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts
- Initiation courses: on an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs
To go further
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended
- Deepen your gemology exploration and identify precious stones with the course "Recognize the Gemstones".
* This course is offered at L’ÉCOLE in Hong Kong twice a month in English. Simultaneous Cantonese interpretation device is available at one lesson, and the same service is available in Mandarin at the other lesson. Students have to confirm if they need interpretation during their booking.