The Engagement Ring: History, Gemology, Know-How
Explore a symbol of love
LanguageEnglishorEnglish (Cantonese)English (Mandarin)
Marriage is an institution that dates from ancient times, but it wasn't until the 15th century that engagement and wedding rings took on separate identities. Centuries later, engagement rings have become universal symbols of love and romance.
During this course
Learn about the history of the ring. Our gemology expert will explain the quality of the gems and the meaning of the different classifications by helping students to handle and observe precious stones.
To conclude, our jewelry teacher will reveal some of the workshops' best-kept secrets in order to create the most beautiful ring of all.
This class is conducted by a jewelry art historian, a gemologist, and a jeweler.
Good to know
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences
- Coffee, tea, and pastries are offered upon your arrival
- You don’t need to bring any specific material
- A certificate is given at the end of the class
What makes L'ÉCOLE experience so special
- High-quality education: L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council
- A very unique faculty: all the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge
- Generosity: skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites
- Exclusive interaction: courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts
- Initiation courses: on an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs
To go further
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended
- To discover how jewels evolved across the ages, we invite you to attend the course "Gold and Jewelry: From Antiquity to the Renaissance Princes".