Gold and Jewelry: from Antiquity to the Renaissance Princes
Explore how jewels evolved into Jewelry from Antiquity to the Renaissance Princes
LanguageEnglishorEnglish (Cantonese)English (Mandarin)
Pharaohs, emperors of Rome and Byzantium, princes of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance; all the great leaders have used gold and stones as a symbol of their power. From the techniques of casting and repoussé to chasing and granulation, the talent of goldsmiths combined with varied types of gemstones is a testament to the epic story of gold.
During this course
Immerse yourself in the very essence of Art History of Jewelry.
Before playing an identification activity, history and geography will lead you on a voyage across centuries and civilizations. Discover how jewels evolved over time, what they symbolize and how they are used. Explore the role and place of gold in jewelry, from Antiquity to the Renaissance Princes.
During this class, you will have the privilege of observing extraordinary antique jewelry pieces.
Discover the evolution of jewelry from different perspectives: history, culture, style, symbolism…
This course is led by two art historians
Good to know
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences
- Coffee, tea, and pastries are offered upon your arrival
- You don’t need to bring any specific material
- A certificate is given at the end of the class
What makes L'ÉCOLE experience so special
- High-quality education: L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council
- A very unique faculty: all the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge
- Generosity: skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites
- Exclusive interaction: courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts
- Initiation courses: on an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs
To go further
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended
- Deepen your understanding of the jewelry evolution with the course "A History of Jewelry, from Louis XIV to Art Deco".